Tax School California   How to become a tax preparer
  Tax preparer classesTax classesTax preparer certificationIncome tax classesOnline tax classes  
  IntroductionBefore You StartSTART NOWCourse FeeAnswer FormFAQs

IRS continuing education


What is a "tax preparer bond" and where can I get one?



A tax preparer bond is a type of insurance policy intended to guarantee that the insured (the tax preparer) will comply with California Tax Education Council standards while acting as a tax preparer, and that any fines or fees levied for noncompliance will be paid.

Pursuant to the California Business and Professions Code, a tax preparer may not conduct business without having a current surety bond, and a tax preparer must provide evidence of compliance with the bonding requirement before rendering any tax preparation services.

A policy in the amount of $5,000 is required by statute. Most bond providers charge an annual premium ranging from $25 to $50 for the $5,000 policy.

Below is a list of 10 popular bond providers (in alphabetical order by domain name). This list  was compiled solely for informational purposes.  The California Tax School is not affiliated with any of these companies.  Please do your research and choose your bond provider carefully.



Back to Frequently Asked Questions 



Privacy Policy
Copyright 2006 - 2015 California Tax School, PO Box 892033, Temecula, CA 92589